Monday, September 26, 2011

Marathon Monday (Wk #9/16)

Scheduled Running: 4 miles, 7 miles, 4 miles, 16 miles = 31 miles
Actual Running: 4 miles (treadmill, slow jog as I was very sore from 14 miler,) 7 miles (felt great,) 4 miles, 16 miles (2 hours and 49 minutes - (10:32 pace) = 31 miles

I know I have said this before but WOW, these long runs are a dedication. I am giving up drinks with my closest girl friends the night before, an hour of preparation dropping water every 3-4 miles and stretching and of course the nearly three hours it takes to run sixteen miles. Although, laying in bed the rest of Sunday sounds appetizing around mile fifteen, I was showered  and loaded up in less than 12 minutes after I walked in from the longest run of my life en route to church. I'm sure the folks next to us thought I was the crazy lady moaning every time we had to stand or sit down while singing. Straight from there, it was a movie, soccer game and an outside birthday party. Needless to say, training for a marathon with a three and four year in the house doesn't leave any time for napping or resting after long runs!

Although this 16 miler was THE toughest yet, I can't complain, when this is the sight I see  at 8:35AM, when getting back to my house, nearly three hours after leaving...
My sweet baby girl running toward me as I round my last turn!
My IT band issue improved this week. I think due to many things. I went by a running store, for the first time, and found out I have a "neutral" foot and was in a shoe for over-pronaters, thus making me land more on the outside ball of my foot??? (or the opposite term, I can't recall.) I ordered some new neutral shoes and all week have been concentrating on landing more evenly. I have shortened my stride some and really concentrated on not jumping and landing hard on my feet, especially when going up and down hills. I have been stretching like a fool and have completely come to terms that I can't do ANYTHING else (exercise wise) but run 4 days a week. I must use the other 3 days to heal my body.

I am still sore but working through it, however, week nine did bring the first one of these....

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Way to go! I always felt like hitting 16 was a huge accomplishment and 16 - 19 all seems pretty similar. So glad you found the right shoes - this will make a HUGE difference. And if you find a pair you like, buy two or three. They're always updating and changing shoes and it can get really frustrating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...