Monday, September 19, 2011

Marathon Monday (Wk # 8/16) Half way & Iliotibial band

Scheduled Running: 4 miles, 6 miles, 4 miles, 14 miles = 28 miles
Actual Running: 6.7 miles (treadmill), 4.1 miles (ran this twelve hours after nearly 7 miles the night before and ended up being a horrible run, sore & tired.) Kickboxing = 3 miles, 14.5 miles (had to really slow down pace with IT problems the last two weeks. Ran in 2 hours & 29 minutes = 10:27 pace) = 28.3 miles

I can't believe I am half way done with training. Part of me is excited and somewhat sad that November 13th will be here in less than 8 weeks and I will be done. The part of me that is scared is definitely still around and came out a little more this week when a pesty little outer knee pain turned into a much more painful right outer hip pain. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago but it went away and I just really tried to stretch a lot more. After it persisting after two days off in a row of running, I started getting a little nervous and called my self-proclaimed running coach/guru, Jessica. She quickly diagnosed me in about thirty seconds and after googling - "Iliotibial band and running," it confirmed my issue to a tee.

What Causes Iliotibial Band Pain?



Iliotibial band syndrome is typically caused by inflammation of the iliotibial band. IT band syndrome is a common injury in runners or other athletes that run for training or during their sports. Rapid increase of mileage is a common reason for this injury. The IT band acts primarily as a stabilizer during running and may become irritated from overuse. The pain is typically felt on the outside (lateral) aspect of the knee or lower thigh, but may be felt near the hip, and is often more intense when descending stairs, or getting up from a seated position.  
 

So thanks to Jessica and You Tube, I have started a in-depth rehab and stretching plan to strenghten this baby. I am not going to allow this thing to take me out. So far so good.... after my 14 miler yesterday morning, I did special stretches and exercises for 30 minutes as well as laid on a hot compress. I woke up today, with zero pain. 
 
On a much happier note, at approximately 8:15 AM yesterday (8.18.2011), I completed my first HALF MARATHON. I paused to remember my finish line....
Approx time of 2 hours and 20 minutes on Huebner, just north of NW Military!

And on one last funnier note, when my alarm went off at 5:25 AM on Sunday morning, I walked half-asleep into my bathroom to find this all set out. I started laughing thinking about how much gear it takes to run for over two hours.

1 comment:

Jessica Tondre said...

So glad your IT problems haven't caused a glitch in your training! I think you caught it early and you are doing all the right things! Scared and sad are normal feeling, but even better that you are looking at this as "I've ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED half my training" rather than "I only have this many weeks left." Keep kicking butt and taking it mile by mile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...