Monday, August 29, 2011

Marathon Monday (Wk # 5/16) A Tough One With a Happy Ending

Scheduled Running: 3 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles, 10 miles= 21 miles
Actual Running: 5 miles (treadmill), 4 miles (treadmill with LOTS of stretching afterwards) , Boot Camp (75 min of cardio with weights and lots of sprinting = at least 3 miles), 10 miles (Deerfield/Blanco/Wurzbach/Lockhill Selma/Huebner loop = 22 miles

This week definitely started out as the worst one since I made the decision and started actually training ten weeks ago. It all started early Monday (a week ago) with a horrible eight mile run and I just felt BLAH for the remainder of the week. I don't know if it's the extreme heat getting to me, not drinking enough water, not getting enough sleep, stress going on with work, just physically doing these long runs that my body has never experienced before OR probably any combination of the above. But, the good news is, the five day rut ended on a high early this morning, when I ran TEN miles outside at a pace of 9:46 min/mile for a total of one hour and forty four minutes of running. I am so proud of my legs that I never even had to stop. I don't know what felt better, achieving such a milestone of ten miles or knowing that my "funk" the previous week was just that... a temporary moment of time which I fought through and won.

I was quickly reminded that I will have bad weeks and I can't let them define my training. This past week was also a reminder that I am starting to get into some serious miles every week and I must take care of myself physically which includes no more late nights on the computer or watching TV with Blake.... I have got to get a solid seven or eight hours of sleep. For the next eleven weeks, I have to make sacrifices if I want to achieve my goal, that is getting so close, I am beginning to smell it.

WATER... is another thing. I have always been a water drinker but the combination of working outside all day long in this record breaking 107 degree heat combined with 20+ miles a week of running and I probably need to put water consumption back on my "to-do" list.

New things from this week: For the first time, I'm realizing how time consuming these long runs can be. For example, my alarm went off at 5:40AM this morning and I had to jump in my car and go drive the ten mile course throwing out bottles of water to rehydrate. I didn't even get home and start running until 6:15AM.

New gear added this week for my early morning (pre-sunrise running:) These arm bands worked great!


 Note to self: I need to find some kind of golf like small hand towel that has a clip to clip to my belt.

On one last note, my wonderful hubby, ran TEN miles yesterday morning. I am so proud of him. ;)

1 comment:

The Perkins Family said...

Ya'll are kickin some butt! Can't wait to watch you cross that finish line in November!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...