Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Candlelit Dinner With The Kids?!?!?!

And this was the scene across from me... romantic, huh?
I made a new dish and had a couple of very special treats on the table to entice the kids to give our dinner a fair shot...
But I was beyond shocked when they both started shoveling the food in their mouths as fast as they could...
 
My kids aren't picky eaters but they are usually more hesitant with new dishes or ones with lots of green stuff in it. But not tonight... perhaps the green plates masked all the vegetables...
Anyhow, they liked the candles and loved how they got to blow them out at the end of dinner.
So I wanted to share what I made because it was amazing and obviously a family hit all around and probably one of the healthiest all around meals I have cooked in weeks. So now, candles are a regular at the dinner table. I wish I could say the following night's meal of Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes & Fresh Mozzarella was as much of a hit but they gave it a honest try, our family dinner time just took three times as long! ;)

Penne with Chicken, Zucchini and Spinach

9 oz penne pasta, whole wheat (I used whole grain)
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 zucchini, sliced into half moons ( I used a peeler and shredded mine very thin)
½ cooked Rotisserie chicken bite size chunks
1 cup spinach, packed (I used fresh spinach because I can't stand cooking with frozen anymore)
2 TBS fresh basil, chopped (I just ripped mine in tiny pieces)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated


1. Cook penne, w/ salt & oil. Drain, set aside, reserve ½ c of pasta water
2. Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat, add garlic, saute 1 min. Add zucchini, cook until tender, about 5-7 min.
3. Reduce heat to low & add chicken, pasta, spinach & basil to skillet, stir. If pasta seems too dry, add some of the reserved pasta water. (I did add some.) Top with pepper and Parmesan cheese.

Yummy.

1 comment:

The Perkins Family said...

Thanks for sharing! I always love a good, quick, and healthy recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...